For the curious, the name of this blog comes from something my Grandmother used to say.
I'd ask "Nanny, what's for supper?" and she would often reply, "oh I don't know, maybe fried farts and vinegar." It seemed like a pretty random and curious combination of things.
I hope this blog will live up to those standards...

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Kindness of Islanders

Much to my amazement in less than 24 hours from my time of posting about my Eastlink experience I received this very helpful email from Derek MacEwen:

"Hi. I passed your "Huh?" blog post re Eastlink's HD service on to Marty Stewart, who is Eastlink's PEI Operations Manager (and my son's hockey team manager). He says that if you are the Dale McKie who lives at (my address), you should be able to get full HD service. He asked me to pass along his cell number: xxx-xxxx. His email is xxxxxx@eastlink.ca. He'll fix things up (he sure did for me when my Internet connection died last Thursday and the call centre told me they couldn't get there until Monday morning!)."


I spoke with Marty and he has suggested that within 24 hours I will be enjoying HD in my home again!

This is one of those times where I am marvelled by the benefits of living in a small province like PEI. Everyone here knows someone who knows someone who can help to solve your problem.

I would like to thank Derek and Marty both for taking the time to read about my problem and going above and beyond to help resolve it.

Please take note Eastlink, this is what customer service is all about. Perhaps you could give Derek a free month or two of internet for saving one of your customers? While you're at it, how about a nice Christmas bonus for Marty?

2 comments:

MamaC said...

Well, I can hardly wait for the next installment!! I told you it had to go higher - lol Logic boggles the mind of those who are constrained by scripts and believing that whatever they are told must be true.

It's not that they are unintelligent, just hampered by protocol and either unwilling or unable to go outside of the box and question that which does not make any sense!!

I hope that Marty can indeed bring your HD Christmas wish to fruition!! Kudos to those who recognize logic in our illogical world :-)

Andrew said...

I grew up on York Road. Your story about Eastlink brought back memories of a battle I had years ago with Aliant over highspeed Internet. I fought with Aliant for months until finally someone agreed to send me an ADSL kit to see if highspeed would work. This was years before the service was expanded to the area. Not only did it work but it was quicker than ADSL in Charlottetown.

At the time, my household was the only house east of Charlottetown to have ADSL. Aliant did not advertise the service until Eastlink started running new lines.

Why do companies not offer a service when they know it will work? Perhaps they know it will work for some customers but not capable to handle a large amount of users. In my case, Aliant had no control over capping my speed.

I suspect the last few houses without Aliant's Internet would be capable of having the service but the company will not turn it on until they have total control over the speed in the area.